Week 4
Bloom's Taxonomy: a hierarchical order of cognitive domains organized by complex cognitive tasks. Starting at the bottom is the simplest moving up increases the cognitive difficulty. As students move up in levels they gain more knowledge and skills. Verbs are used to describe what tasks we want the students to do. This can be done through learning objectives, essential questions, and activities.
Verbs- list, name, define recall,
Level Two: Understanding- the ability to display the understanding of content remembered.
Verbs- explain, classify, identify, summarize, discuss
Level Three: Applying- how students can take the content learned and apply it to other situations.
Verbs- apply, calculate, solve
Level Four: Analyzing- the ability to think critically break down there thoughts and ideas and sum it up, and draw connections.
Verbs- infer, investigate, analyze, compare, contrast
Level Five: Evaluate- using the knowledge learned prior to support conclusions and problem solve.
Verbs- argue, justify, judge, evaluate, assess
Level Six: Create- demonstrate the knowledge learned by creating something new.
Verbs- Produce, devise, create, plan
Explaination video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOy3m02uEaE
Webb's Depth of Knowledge (DOK): not a hierarchical order but a detailed description of the thinking process. It is a way to understand and analyze how deep the students are digging into the content. This is a tool used to assess thinking. Focuses on the students thinking process.
Level One: Recall and Repraduction- recalling inform such as fact, definition, terms, or preforming a simple procedure.
Level Two: Skills and Concepts- applying knowledge learned by making connections.
Level Three: Strategic Thinking- Complex thinking that deepens understanding through cognitive reasoning.
Level Four: Extended Thinking- complex problem solving and creative thing.
Explanation video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO9k2xbbbxw
How to use this in my future classroom?
I can use these Bloom's Taxonomy to help guild the progression of my lesson and create well constructed objectives. By using this I can build on each level extend my students learning. I can use DOK to evaluate the depth of learning as an assessment tool. What I find most interesting in Webb's DOK is the connection between the levels of learn in comparison to Bloom's Texonomy that is displayed more so as ladder system that must be climbed. Both are good to use and keep in mine when lesson planning to help strengthen the process to learn concept using critical thinking. Attached is a previous beginning to a lesson plan I had done in another class using Bloom's Texonomy to developed my objective and assignments.
tanstruction?

Hi Lauren! I really enjoyed reading your blog! I loved that you included multiple visuals and extra videos to help deepen our understanding. I also really liked how you color coded the levels of Bloom's Taxonomy with the visual provided.
ReplyDeleteHi Lauren! I think you did a wonderful job on your blog! I love that you color coded the levels of Bloom's Taxonomy. I think it looked great! My favorite part of your blog is how your explanation for how you will use these frameworks in your future instruction. I also like how you included a photo of a lesson plan you created using Bloom's Taxonomy. Overall, great job!
ReplyDelete